How we started
Our story started over 60 years ago when a group of Brisbanenites living with paraplegia and quadriplegia met and decided they would advocate for what mattered most to them. Through that first meeting Spinal Life Australia was born. Since that day we’ve never lost sight of why we’re here; to make real and tangible differences in the lives of people living with a physical disability. Whether that’s through critical support services, advocacy at an individual and national level, or through our Peer Support team. We are Spinal Life Australia: a team of health care workers, activists, researchers, volunteers, and friends all committed to changing the way disability is seen and creating a fairer Australia.
Why we do it
- To empower those living with a disability to live life their way.
- To advocate for a fairer and more equitable Australia.
- To educate and support.
Living the Spinal Life Way
At our core, we’re on a mission to enable those living with a disability to live an accessible, equitable and empowered life. To support this mission, we developed the ‘Spinal Life Way’, a set of guiding principles that drives how we show up and do the work worth doing.
Live a values based approach
- What it means: we put our customers first and make a positive difference through purposeful connection.
Have a future innovation focus
- What it means: we always look for a better way to do things and are willing and confident to share ideas.
Always communicate authentically and honestly
- What it means: we genuinely listen and have meaningful conversations that lead to outcomes.
Improve practice and systems to consistently enhance the customer experience
- What it means: we collaborate with individuals, teams, and experts to deliver the best possible outcomes for our customers.
Be responsive and adaptable to opportunity
- What it means: we embrace change and make continuous improvements that benefit our customers and community.