Join more than a home care provider
As a Personal Support Worker (PSW), you’ll provide everyday support to people with spinal cord damage and related physical disabilities, so they can live independently and achieve their goals.
You may also work with an aged person who is eligible for assistance under the Veterans’ Home Support Service.
We believe that the best care never intrudes on our clients’ personal lives, so reliability and professionalism is essential in supporting someone to live independently.
Each person we support is unique, so we need a team of diverse people to match our community.
We’ll welcome who you are and value the contribution you make to Spinal Life and our clients’ lives.
About the role
Prior experience is an advantage, but not essential as comprehensive training is provided to ensure you have the knowledge and skills needed to best support your clients.
Our Personal Support and Home Care Services are tailored to individual clients’ needs wherever possible, which includes the hours they need support each day.
For example, most clients will choose to have assistance in the morning to get ready for the day or in the evening to go to bed at night.
This means most shifts are available between the hours of 6am – 9am and 6pm – 10pm and are usually not longer than two hours.
That’s why we aim to match PSWs with clients who live close by, reducing travel times and maximising the hours in your day.
If you would like to increase your hours, there may also be the option to work with more than one client in a day, if shift times do not overlap.
Our PSWs work closely in our clients’ homes, places of work and sometimes in the general community.
As a PSW, you will assist with a wide range of personal daily activities such as:
- Transfers in and out of bed, chairs and providing other mobility assistance.
- Toileting (including bladder and bowel assistance), showering, grooming and dressing.
- Community access such as driving to appointments and social activities.
- Housework, meal preparation and other light domestic assistance.
- Comprehensive training and induction
- Penalty rates for weekends, nights and public holidays
- Fixed rosters to support your work-life balance
- Ongoing training and support
- Receive quality induction as well as ongoing training and support.
- Penalty rates for weekends, nights and public holidays.
- Salary packaging arrangements that can increase your take-home pay.
- Employee assistance program for staff and family members
- The opportunity to make a difference – in your team, in your organisation and in your clients’ lives.
We encourage you to apply if you are:
- Seeking casual employment of about 20 hours per week and available to work broken shifts consisting of several hours across early morning, lunchtime and early evenings most days.
- Enjoy an active job as you must be physically capable of constant lifting, bending, carrying, crouching and working in confined spaces as these tasks are essential to the role.
- A genuine, reliable worker with inherent integrity and respect for individual choice and client confidentiality.
- Sensitive and adaptable to clients’ different personalities, cultural backgrounds, family/house dynamics and changing support needs.
- Resilient in managing challenging behaviour and perform under pressure.
- Comfortable in assisting with personal hygiene functions.
- Able to follow instructions, make basic calculations, comprehend support plans and communicate clearly and professionally with both clients and staff.
- Must have valid Australian work rights, current and valid driver’s licence, access to a reliable vehicle and criminal history clearance.
Below are our current vacancies for Personal Support Worker roles. If you do not see your region listed and would like to submit an expression of interest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for North Queensland, email@example.com for Western Australia and firstname.lastname@example.org for all other regions.