Inspired by the ‘Amazing Race’ concept, Spinal Life Australia delivers a unique training program across Queensland and Western Australia, known as the Realistic RACE.
The Realistic RACE is a one-day workshop, which involves participants gaining a first-hand insight into disability for a brief amount of time while completing a series of tasks. The tasks undertaken will aim to ensure all participants experience common accessibility issues within the workshop venue and local area. The Realistic RACE is also tailored to suit various industries, maximising the effectiveness of the training for government agencies, industry groups, community organisations or individuals.
What’s in The RACE package
The Realistic RACE gives participants hands-on
experience with accessibility issues commonly faced
by members of their community. For businesses, it
helps improve customer service and creates more
Realistic RACE Delivery (per session), including:
- RACE Planning – we scout the local community to set meaningful challenges for attendees who come to your place of work.
- Race Day
- 2x RACE Facilitators
- RACE Equipment
- Pre-RACE Briefing
- Workshop and challenges
- End RACE Debrief
- Post-RACE Follow-up – check in after participants have returned to work.
Benefits to business
The benefits of the Realistic RACE extend beyond that of increased disability awareness, when you put your staff through Realistic RACE training the expected outcomes for the business are:
- More empathetic workforce as a result experiencing firsthand of the barriers faced by people with disability.
- Your Staff will have the ability to recognise barriers and have the confidence to explain the barrier and work towards removing the barrier.
- Great for team and trust building amongst the team as a result of disability experience and the fact they have to work and rely on each other as a team.
- Resulting in the creation of an accessibility action plan to systematically make improvements for both staff and customers in the future.
Benefits to participants
The Realistic RACE is a 3hr workshop that involves all participants being assigned a disability for brief amounts of time whilst they complete a series of tasks. The tasks are designed specifically for the company the RACE will be run for. These tasks will ensure that all participants experience the accessibility issues within the very building, they work in (if you are a company) or around your whole town (if you are a Local Government/Regional Body).
Expected outcomes for the participant:
- Firsthand experience regarding barriers within their workplace and the wider community.
- Take these learnings and rectify barriers in the workplace.
- Gain more empathy as a result of the training.
Tailored to your business
The Realistic RACE is suitable for any organisation. It is tailor-made to your business, so the outcomes are focused on assisting your business to achieve your accessibility goals as cost-effectively as possible.