Throughout the past year, our Board has focused on reviewing and clearly defining Spinal Life Australia’s purpose and key goals, to guide our activities now and into the future.
This project was particularly timely given the introduction of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), which has created significant changes for the organisation and the wider disability sector.
Our Board’s objective is to ensure we continue to remain sustainable in an ever-changing environment, yet also grow and evolve as an organisation.
We have now launched a new Strategic Roadmap for Spinal Life Australia, which describes our goals and the projects that will help us to achieve them.
These goals include:
- developing our organisation and our team members
- becoming as efficient as possible, to ensure we are financially sustainable now and into the future
- sharing our expertise on a national level to support more people with spinal cord damage
- completing our organisation’s transition to the NDIS and National Injury Insurance Scheme Queensland (NIISQ) funding schemes, and growing our service areas
- increasing our membership and the support we provide our members, giving us the strength in numbers we need to assist us in our advocacy efforts on a local, state and national level
- improving the lives of people with spinal cord damage through new rehabilitation and therapy services
Our Spinal Life Healthy Living Centre in Cairns is an important project to achieve many of the above goals and is a model we hope to replicate in other regions; giving people in regional areas access to our services and reducing their need to travel.
Another of our key projects has been the introduction of our member services in Western Australia, after we received feedback from people with spinal cord damage who live in the state about the need for more opportunities to connect with us and each other.
We are also exploring opportunities to introduce further new services, in line with the needs of our members and clients.