Personal information collected by Spinal Life Australia Ltd is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the ‘Privacy Act’). Personal information is any information that can be used to identify you and includes sensitive health information.
Spinal Life Australia (Spinal Life) follows Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act in handling personal information from clients/beneficiaries, business partners, contractors, donors, members of the public and our people (including members, volunteers, employees, delegates, candidates for volunteer work and prospective employees).
The primary purpose for collecting personal information from you is to provide disability services to people in need, including planning, funding, monitoring and evaluating our services. The kind of personal information we collect will depend on your relationship with us (e.g. as a client, donor, business partner, contractor, employee, volunteer or member, online user of the Spinal Life Australia website).
We usually collect personal information directly from you. However, we sometimes collect personal information from third parties such as your care person, trustee, authorised representative, or from a publicly available source, but only if:
- You have consented to such collection or would reasonably expect us to collect your personal information in this way, or
- If it is necessary for a specific purpose.
We only collect personal information for purposes that are reasonably necessary for one or more of our functions or activities.
Your personal information may be used to:
- Provide you with goods or a service;
- Provide you with educational information on disability care and awareness;
- Report to government, agencies or other funding bodies how the funding is used, for planning purposes, and required reporting;
- Process your registration or application to access services, membership, donation or purchases and provide receipts, all which are defined and controlled under our Quality Management System, required Standards and documentation;
- Communicate with you about our programs and services, service delivery matters and products, how your donation is used, causes, events, and other information which we believe may be of interest to you;
- Respond to your feedback or complaints; and
- Answer your queries.
It may also be used for:
- Any other purpose for which it was requested, and which was advised to you; and
- Directly related purposes.
Please be assured that wherever possible Spinal Life uses information in a de-identified form. Personal information will not be disclosed to third parties without your permission, except where permitted or required under the Privacy Act.
We take steps to protect all personal, sensitive and health information and government related identifiers held against misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
You can access the personal information that we hold about you, and you can ask us to correct the personal information we hold about you. For more information, see our Privacy and Confidentiality policy – ‘access to and correction of personal information’.
If you are listed on one or more of our network email lists, you can opt out at any time. You can unsubscribe by using the ‘unsubscribe’ options provided in each email.
Further information about the Privacy Act 1988 can be accessed through the website of the Office of Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC).
You may also email our Privacy Officer.