Our Privacy and Confidentiality policy
Our Privacy and Confidentiality policy outlines our responsibilities, your rights, and the information that we may collect and how we use it.
Click here to access our full Privacy and Confidentiality Policy (PDF, 430KB).
The main reason we collect personal information from you is so that we can provide the best services to people in need. This includes planning, funding, monitoring and evaluating our services.
The kind of personal information we collect will depend on your relationship with us (eg a client, donor, business partner, contractor, employee, volunteer or member, or online user of the Spinal Life Australia website). This information is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the ‘Privacy Act’).
Collecting personal information
We usually collect personal information directly from you. However, we sometimes collect personal information from a third party such as your carer, trustee or authorised representative or from a publicly available source. But we only collect information from third parties if:
- You have agreed to this collection or would reasonably expect us to collect your personal information in this way, or
- If it is necessary for a specific purpose such as to:
- Provide you with goods or a service
- Provide you with educational information on disability care and awareness
- Report to government, agencies or other funding bodies how the funding is used, for planning purposes, and required reporting
- Process your registration or application to access services, membership, donation or purchases and provide receipts, all which are defined and controlled under our Quality Management System, required Standards and documentation
- Communicate with you about our programs and services, service delivery matters and products, how your donation is used, causes, events, and other information we think would interest you
- Respond to your feedback or complaints
- Answer your queries.
Your information may also be used for:
- Any other purpose for which it was requested and which was advised to you
- Directly related purposes.
We will not share your personal information with third parties without your permission, except where permitted or required under the Privacy Act.
Protecting your information
We take steps to protect all personal, sensitive and health information and government related identifiers that we hold against misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
You can access the personal information that we hold about you, and you can also ask us to correct this information. For more information, see our Privacy and Confidentiality policy – ‘access to and correction of personal information’.
If your name is on one of our email lists, you can opt out at any time by using the ‘unsubscribe’ options in our emails.
The Office of Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) has more information about Privacy Act 1988.
Membership terms and conditions
- Annual membership is renewed by 30 June each year
- Annual membership is renewed by Concessions rates apply to students and pensioners
- Age for junior membership determined on date of application
You may also email our Privacy Officer.