Stay up to date with the latest information on our Healthy Living Centre project – click here to become a Spinal Life member today!
About the project
Our flagship Healthy Living Centre in Cairns will be the first of its kind in Queensland and regional Australia, offering short-term accessible accommodation, allied health services, a rehabilitation gym, community café and more.
The project is made possible with the Australian Government’s Building Better Regions Fund, which provides grants for projects that will create jobs, drive economic growth and build stronger regional communities.
The Centre has been developed in response to feedback from our members, and our mission to enable solutions for people with spinal cord damage to live an accessible, equitable and empowered life.
The project is part of our commitment to bringing specialist services closer to home, reducing the need for people to travel and giving them access to support where and when they choose.
The accessible accommodation will be available for residents and visitors holidaying in the region, as well as people who are transitioning home from hospital.
Key features of the project include:
- seven purpose-built transitional and holiday accommodation units
- specialist services for people with spinal cord damage and related physical disabilities
- accessible meeting spaces and community facilities including café, gym and hydrotherapy pool
- employment and training opportunities for the Cairns and Far North Queensland community.
The Spinal Life Healthy Living Centre will be built on the corner of Lake and Smith Streets, close to the Esplanade, Cairns Hospital and other health services.
How you can help
We need support to bring this project to life.
We have a range of exciting opportunities available for you to show your support and make a mark in the Cairns community for years to come.
- purchase a legacy tile, which will be located on the wall in the Centre’s waiting area and will feature your name (artist’s impression shown right)
- sponsor a park bench in the garden, with a plaque featuring your name
- make a tax-deductible donation
For further information on how you can support the project, please contact our Fundraising team on 1300 774 625 or email@example.com.
To enquire about partnership opportunities, including suppliers, please contact Project Manager Anna Cooney on 07 3435 3181 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Key project supporters
We are incredibly grateful to the following supporters who are directly helping us bring the Healthy Living Centre to life:
- The Australian Government’s Building Better Regions Fund (Infrastructure Projects Stream)
- The Australian Government’s Department of Industry, Innovation and Science – Regional Jobs and Investment Packages
- Mr George Chapman AO and Mrs Margo Chapman.
Stay up to date
If you would like to receive updates on the Spinal Life Healthy Living Centre, you can subscribe to our email newsletter. We will also be sharing the latest news in The Advocate magazine and on Facebook.
In early 2019, we held an event for members and residents to come along and meet the builder, Keir QLD. You can read the notes from that presentation and learn more about the construction of this project by clicking here.
If you have any questions about the project, please contact us.