Win a travel voucher – enter today!
Plan your next stay at our new fully accessible accommodation in Cairns. Enter below for your chance to win a Flight Centre Travel Card worth $500!
About the Centre
The Spinal Life Healthy Living Centre in Cairns is fully accessible, with facilities and specialist services to support the health and wellbeing of people with spinal cord damage or other physical disabilities.
Whether you’re looking for accessible short-term, transitional or holiday accommodation, specialist personal support and therapy services or access to our Active Gym and Active Hydro Pool for rehabilitation, the Centre is here to support you to live an accessible, equitable and empowered life.
The Spinal Life Healthy Living Centre is located at 2-4 Smith St, North Cairns, close to the Esplanade, Cairns Hospital and other health services.
The Centre will open in early February 2020, with an official celebration planned in March.
Click the arrows below to learn more about key features and services offered at the Centre.
The Healthy Living Centre Active Gym features fully accessible and specially designed equipment for people with a disability, to use both with or without a wheelchair.
From early February 2020, the Active Gym will be open seven days a week, with early bird discounts available for annual membership classes.
Circuit and boxing classes will also be available, along with personal training. You can also work with our Physiotherapist to develop your own specialised training plan.
Active Hydro Pool
The Healthy Living Centre Active Hydro Pool offers a great way to improve your movement, balance and strength while also assisting with pain management.
The pool has an accessible lift for easy entry and exit, and our personal support workers can help take part.
Small group classes will be held, along with the ability to have a one-on-one session with our qualified Physiotherapist.
The Active Hydro Pool will be open Monday to Saturday by appointment, from early February 2020.
More information on class prices and timetables will be available soon.
The Healthy Living Centre features seven self-contained, fully accessible units, with one or two bedrooms and water views available.
We offer options for guests looking for a North Queensland short-term, transitional or holiday accommodation and cater for guests who are self-funded or are funding their stay under their NDIS plan or icare.
The units can be configured to suit the occupants, including people travelling with carers, families and more, with specialist equipment available including Cirrus CuroCell mattresses and shower chairs.
Each unit contains a height adjustable bed and ceiling hoist and left or right transfer bathrooms, while you can control the electronics, lights and blinds remotely with a provided tablet.
Click here to enquire about staying at the Centre – all bookings go in the draw to win a $500 Flight Centre voucher!
Therapies and services
At the Spinal Life Healthy Living Centre, our team of specialist therapists and support workers are on hand to help you live an accessible and empowered life.
- Personal Support Services to provide specialist assistance tailored to you, including during your stay at the Centre and when accessing the community
- Occupational Therapy to find the best assistive equipment, including with NDIS applications and assessments for funding
- Physiotherapy to help manage and reduce pain, regain muscle movements, treat and prevent injuries and assist with best practice for transferring and chair pushing techniques.
- Hydrotherapy to manage rehabilitation, pain and muscle strength
- Exercise Physiology to make the most of your time at the Active Gym or Active Hydro Pool
- Support Coordination to provide unique insights into the NDIS along with the expertise to help develop an NDIS plan that works for you and your unique lifestyle.
More information on therapies and services will be available soon.
Other key features
The Spinal Life Healthy Living Centre also features:
- two fully accessible meeting rooms for community activities and events available for hire
- a community café to enjoy a post-work out coffee or catch up with friends
- a skills area to assist people with newly-acquired injuries to practise manoeuvring around varied terrain and surface types.
EOI for Allied Health practices
We’re continuing to seek expressions of interest from qualified health practitioners to provide professional services through the Centre, alongside our physiotherapists, occupational therapists and exercise physiologists.
We’re looking to hear from qualified psychologists, counsellors, dietitians, podiatrists, speech therapists and therapeutic massage therapists who would like to be part of this exciting project.
To submit your expression of interest, complete the editable form in the link above and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or print and post it to PO Box 452, North Cairns, QLD 4870.
The Healthy Living Centre project
Our flagship Healthy Living Centre in Cairns is the first of its kind in Queensland and regional Australia, offering short-term accessible accommodation, allied health services, a rehabilitation gym, community café and more.
The project is made possible with funding from the Australian Government’s Building Better Regions Fund, which provides grants for projects that will create jobs, drive economic growth and build stronger regional communities.
The Centre has been developed in response to feedback from our members, and our mission to enable solutions for people with spinal cord damage to live an accessible, equitable and empowered life.
The project is part of our commitment to bringing specialist services closer to home, reducing the need for people to travel and giving them access to support where and when they choose.
Key project supporters
We are incredibly grateful to the following supporters who are directly helping us bring the Healthy Living Centre to life:
- The Australian Government’s Building Better Regions Fund (Infrastructure Projects Stream)
- The Motor Accident Insurance Commission (MAIC)
- The Australian Government’s Department of Industry, Innovation and Science – Regional Jobs and Investment Packages
- Mr George Chapman AO and Mrs Margo Chapman.
- Mr Dean Pradal
How you can help
To help bring this project to life, you can:
- Donate to our History Wall via our Donate page which will be located on the wall in the Centre’s waiting area and will feature your name
- Make a tax-deductible donation
- Become a member of Spinal Life Australia and stay up to date on all the latest information on the Centre