We know how difficult it can be to find accessibility information online, whether you’re simply grabbing a coffee with friends or planning a dream holiday with your family.
It can be a time-consuming, frustrating process, especially when the details that are available are inaccurate or not relevant to you.
That’s why we have created the Accessible Australia app, a free online resource where you can access first-hand reviews and experiences and share your feedback to help others!
With listings including hotels, restaurants, cafés, bars, shopping centres, public bathrooms, beaches, parks and more, the number of reviews is growing every day.
What can you do on Accessible Australia?
- Search and find points of interest
- Make sure the points of interest suit your access needs
- Check out reviews from your peers – to make a more informed decision
- leave a review to help others in the community
- Add points of interest not listed.
Visit accessibleaustralia.com.au to read reviews and share your own!
Watch our ‘How to’ videos
1. How to log in and search for a point of interest
2. How to filter for your level of mobility
3. How to leave a review
4. How to add a point of interest
Watch the full video
When reviewing accessibility, please consider:
- How accessible it was to get in and out of the venue
- How accessible it was to navigate around the venue
- Did the venue have bathrooms? Was there an accessible option?
- Did I have to ask a staff member for assistance, or could I access the venue independently?
- Are there accessible parking options nearby?
The accessibility rating should be exclusively about the venue’s accessibility and not the quality of services or products offered.
Ratings are out of 5 stars, which denote:
- 1 Star – venue could not be accessed at all
- 2 Stars – venue could be accessed and navigated with great difficulty
- 3 Stars – venue could be accessed and navigated with mild difficulty
- 4 Stars – venue could be accessed and navigated with little difficulty, however there was room for improvement
- 5 Stars – venue is completely accessible and could be accessed and navigated with ease.
The overall experience review is about exactly that, your overall experience at the venue. This can include quality of service, quality of your food or drinks, quality of your accommodation and facilities etc.
In addition to user reviews, the app includes information from the Australian Tourism Data Warehouse, which asks venues to complete a questionnaire to rate their accessibility information.
If there are no user reviews for a venue, only the details they have listed themselves, you will see ‘self-reported’ beside the star rating and should take this into account and call to check accessibility prior to visiting.
If you have a question about the Accessible Australia app, please contact us at email@example.com.