As a Personal Support Worker (PSW) you will be providing support to a person with a spinal cord injury, to enable them to live the lifestyle of their choice and live independently in the community. You may also work with an aged person eligible for assistance under the Veterans’ Home Support Service.
If you are reliable, trustworthy and have good interpersonal skills, this is an ideal opportunity to earn some extra dollars or kick start a rewarding career in the human services industry. Prior experience is an advantage but not essential as fully paid training is provided.
The personal care and domestic support service Spinal Life Australia provides is tailored to individual clients’ needs wherever possible and for this reason shifts can be fragmented because the majority of clients are funded for approximately three to four hours per day. The clients choose how they want those hours used.
Normally clients choose to have assistance in the morning to get ready for the day or in the evening to go to bed at night. Therefore, the bulk of shifts are available between the hours of 6am – 9am and in the evenings from 6pm – 10pm. Most shifts are not longer than two hours.
You would not normally be asked to travel great distances for one to two hour shifts. In most instances you will be referred to clients in or close to the area where you live. For Personal Support Workers who want to increase their hours of work, it is possible to work for more than one client where the shift times do not overlap.
Our PSWs work very closely with individuals with a wide range of needs, performing tasks that range from personal care to shopping, light household duties and community access activities. Duties include:
- Personal support: hoist transfers, showering, drying, skin care, dressing, bowel and bladder care, personal hygiene and grooming
- Meal preparation: assisting clients at meal time and with drinks
- Domestic assistance: bed making, dusting, vacuuming, sweeping & mopping, cleaning bathroom & toilet and laundry
- Assistance with medication: physical assistance to remove medication from packaging
- Passive exercise: assistance with passive exercise routine
- Community access: support client when accessing the community
For current Personal Support Worker vacancies click here.